Tuesday, October 17, 2006

Me, Defined

I happened to glance at the 'about me' profile on my blog, and I figured that since my daughter has a birthday coming up in a few weeks, I'd change it. The trouble is, what should I say? I started on it, and each time I finished with it, it either looked too impersonal, or it was too long. I finally ended up deciding that when she does have her birthday, I'd just switch the '7' to an '8' and be done with it.

I also got to thinking about the fact that when I post, I hardly ever post anything about myself. You can pick up a few tidbits here and there, but for the most part, I come off as detached and guarded, which, granted, I sometimes can be. So, I thought, why don't I just lay myself out bare in a post? Mind you, you won't find any earth-shattering information here, like how old I was when I lost my virginity, or a heartfelt admission about my $1,000-a-day cocaine habit (not really), this is mostly just basic superficial info that one would pick up about me if they were around me on a daily basis. Some of this stuff you already know if you've read this blog for a while, some of it's stuff that only a handful of people know about, and mostly, I'm just typing stuff down as it comes to me, so if I don't say something in particular, it's not because I'm hiding some big secret-I just forgot, or it doesn't matter (not that ANY of this matters, but whatever). Also, there's no order to it-it's basically just a random jumble of things. And don't expect to find anything funny or heartwarming-these are just the facts.

I am a single mother-my daughter is my world. As I type this, I am currently without a job (thinking of making some big changes in regards to vocation). I have three pets-2 dogs, and a rabbit. I smoke-too much. I have a half-sister and a half-brother-I'm the youngest. My parents are still married to each other. I'm related to Doc Holliday on my dad's side of the family. I'm left handed. I like the color blue. I use humor alot, I also tend to be sarcastic-it's a defense, I suppose. If I could, I'd sleep during the day, and be up at night-I feel unnatural sleeping during the normal hours. I don't like to go out-I'm not a social person by nature. When I laugh, I bray like a jackass-very loudly too. I'm shy, and it sometimes comes off as snobbiness. I never learned how to ride a bike. Also, I can't skate. I don't drink alcohol. I know how to juggle. I'm double-jointed. I'm a bit of a nerd, and I have no problem with it. I like lists, any kind, really-I'm always jotting down some random grouping of things. I like showers over baths-I've never liked sitting in a stew of my own filth. I like cereal-I even eat it for dinner some days. My favorite season is winter. I feel sick to my stomach when I enter a school-I don't know why. I'm a democrat-sort of middle-of-the-road, I guess. I hate emptying the dishwasher. My most prized possession is a trophy my maternal grandmother won in a beauty contest in 1932, that's bent because she hit her date over the head with it. I say the word "Goddammit" too much. I like diet Sprite-it tastes clean. I still miss my dog, Gypsy, that died 4 years ago. I still like to color. I own too many pairs of sunglasses. I'm afraid of clowns and ventriliquist dummies. I like cardinals.

Hmmmm.....

I love Mystery Science Theater 3000-Joel over Mike, I'm unyielding in that. I think Joss Whedon is a genius. I've had a huge crush on Hugo Weaving for several years. I love Zero 7. I think Kurt Vonnegut is the most brilliant mind in the history of literature. I hope the Simpsons never go off the air. I think that Plan 9 From Outer Space and Reefer Madness are 2 of the greatest stories ever told. I think that Quint in Jaws was the best character ever put on film. I hate Tom Cruise. I love Bruce Campbell. I wish Joey Ramone was still alive. I have a girl-crush on Lauren Graham. I think the Smile Time episode of Angel was the best hour of anything ever televised. Also, as far as I'm concerned, if you look up the word 'Hot' in the dictionary, you'll see a picture of James Marsters. I love watching Golden Girls and M*A*S*H reruns. My most hated film character of all time is Noah Cross from Chinatown. I prefer Brian Cox over Anthony Hopkins as Hannibal Lecter. I think Dolly Parton is cool. I like the name Apple-I wish I'd thought of it before Gwyneth Paltrow did. When I'm depressed, I watch old movies-especially anything with Rosalind Russell. I hate love stories. I like horror movies. I think Wild, Wild West with Will Smith is the worst movie I've ever seen. I still get goose bumps when I see the final 5 or so minutes of the Usual Suspects. My favorite actress is Cate Blanchett. I wish Rutger Hauer was still making lots of movies. I wish Lindsay Lohan made FEWER movies. I wish Paris Hilton would just die already.

Oh, and I like jigsaw puzzles.

So, that's pretty much what you'd pick up if you read my mind. Like I said, no mind-blowing information there, but I feel better sharing those little nuggets. Now, do you see why I couldn't put all that in my profile?