Saturday, October 21, 2006

I. Rock.

OUT LOUD. I rock hard-harder than anyone you've ever met. I rock louder and harder than....Um, well, Pete Townsend of the Who, for example-back in the day, he rocked pretty hard. BUT NOT AS MUCH AS I ROCK RIGHT NOW! I am rocking upside down, sideways AND diagonally. I am....

Sorry. I got a little carried away there. I'm sure it won't ever happen again. I'm just happy right now, because I figured out a way to give YouTube's video time-limit the runaround. GO ME!

What happened was, I was going through my favorites on the aforementioned YouTube, deleting a bunch of stuff, because I had stuff that I'm not even sure why I saved it in the first place, much less want to watch again. I was going through my playlists, and I noticed for the first time (on some very rare occasions, I'm not all that observant ), that you can EMBED entire playlists. I also remembered that some kind soul had uploaded the 'Manos: The Hands of Fate' episode of Mystery Science Theater 3000 awhile back, cut up into 11 bite-sized pieces. You see where I'm going with this? I think you do.

If you've been reading this blog for any length of time, you are familiar with the premise of MST3k, so I won't go into it again. What about Manos? Well, Manos is probably the most famous episode of MST. Those guys took a movie that causes people physical and mental pain, and re-fashioned it into comedic platinum (I don't care for gold). What is the movie about? A vacationing family falls into the clutches of the leader of a very tiny cult of people who seem to worship a hand...Or something, I dunno-they love hands: it's on staffs, artwork, a nifty Bea Arthur-esque muumuu, and they also seem to enjoy relieving other people of their own manos-es-es (Mani??). The highlight of the movie (I almost called it a film-that would have been a gross overstatement of a compliment), and I use the word 'highlight' very loosely, would have to be Torgo, the lecherous, big-kneed, goat-voiced houseboy (supposedly he was meant to be a satyr-you know: half-man, half-goat; deity of the woods and mountains, which is weird, because this takes place in a desert setting...Oh my God, I'm attempting to question the filmaker's logic while talking about Manos: The Hands of Fate-I've gone off the deep end.)

I hate Manos-I watched and reviewed it right here on this very blog a few months ago. Watching it un-MSTied is an exercise in cruel torture, in fact, I'm thinking about calling Amnesty International and reporting myself for making myself watch it. BUT, watching the MST version is the very definiton of pure, sweet, sweet joy. Watch it if you haven't ever seen it-you'll thank me later.

(I realize this embeded playlist player thingy isn't perfect: it looks different, and you can't watch the episode seamlessly (plus, I had to make it smaller because it pushed my links down to the bottom of the page and I won't stand for that). Look at it this way: eventually, I probably would have posted the whole thing ANYWAY, but this way, I won't have to either A) post 11 different players, or B) post 11 different links. That would have looked positively trashy.)