Wednesday, June 11, 2008

This is Heavy...

Today's movie is:



1985's 'Back to the Future'

Starring: Michael J. Fox, Christopher Lloyd, Lea Thompson, Crispin Glover and Thomas F. Wilson. Directed by Robert Zemeckis.

Genre: Sci-fi/comedy

What is it?: A teenage boy gets roped into traveling back in time when his loony scientist friend takes a bullet in a mall parking lot. He meets the teenage version of his parents and hijinks? You better believe hijinks ensue.

Back in tiiiime: I remember going to see this movie in the theater on my ninth birthday. I got to choose what we saw since it was my birthday and I chose this because I had a little (huge) crush on Michael J. Fox. I think after the movie, I got to go buy a bunch of crap at Skaggs Alpha Beta, which actually was a pretty decent store, at least to a nine year old.

As for the movie itself, this was my first introduction to the madness that is Crispin Glover, who, in the space of one single Letterman appearance, informed my long-held love for weird people and/or things; Biff still stands as one of my most hated film assholes of all time; and over the past couple decades, I've pretty much perfected my Doc Brown/ Christopher Lloyd impression.

Overall, I think it's a good movie, and pretty clever for it's day, but I've seen it about 11,000,000,000,000 times since then, so the thrill is gone. I do own it though, in case I change my mind and get the urge to watch it. Stranger things have happened.

Where are they now?: The main peeps are still kicking around.

Michael J. Fox occasionally acts, in addition to raising awareness of Parkinson's Disease and Stem Cell Research.

Lea Thompson has mastered the art of the TV movie (nothin' wrong with that).

Tom Wilson still acts, performs stand-up and does voice-over work for cartoons (which everyone in my house knows about after I blurted out-loudly-during a Spongebob episode, "Dude! That fish-guy is totally Biff from Back to the Future!" Similar incidents happen with great frequency in my house. My family loves me anyway.)

Christopher Lloyd is still working, though it's impossible for him to reach the heights of Reverend Jim ever again, not even if he lives to be a thousand.

Crispin Glover is still creeping people out, and recently played the role of Montag the Magnificent in a remake of The Wizard of Gore. Bijou Phillips is apparently in it as well, so I'll be taking a pass.

You can grab it Here, or you can come to my house, we can watch my copy and I'll wow you with my Doc impression. I'm serious, it's uncanny.