Sunday, June 22, 2008

Darwin Laughs While I Suck My Thumb


I like to think I'm a reasonably intellegent person, but occasionally I have brain fart so epic that it wipes out every smart thing I've ever done.

Last night, I saw a mouse so I went to get a trap for it. I baited the trap with peanut butter and stuck it in the store room, to which the mouse had run. I check the trap today and the little bastard had licked the trap clean without setting it off.

So. I start over and set the trap again, this time baiting it with cheese instead. Before I continue, I'd just like to say that the trap is weirdly made. It's got a piece of fake cheese on it and you're supposed to put the bait on that part of it. The fake cheese sticks up at an odd angle and in my mind, I thought it would be more effective if it was more parallel to the bottom of the trap. I also thought that if a mouse could slurp peanut butter off of it without triggering it, I could just kinda push the fake cheese down a little...

Yeah. Right on my thumbnail. The pain is just now beginning to subside, but my embarrassment will stay with me for quite some time and that's not even the end of it. After I finished making a fool of myself, I took the trap back out to the store room. I put it down and the trap went off and FLUNG the cheese to lord-knows-where. I looked for a few minutes, but ended up just putting another piece on it.

You may mock me in the comments below at your leisure. Thank you and good night.