Saturday, March 08, 2008

The Crazy 88's Can Kiss My Patootie

Last night, due to some Ghostworld talk(haven't seen it? Do it. Now. Go, go, go!), I had a hankering to see a clip from the movie. In particular, the opening sequence where Enid (the delightful Thora Birch) is watching the 1965 Bollywood film Gumnaam. This clip is technically from Gumnaam and Thora Birch is nowhere to be seen in it, so there's really no need for me to mention Ghostworld, other than to use it as an excuse to get as many people to watch it as possible.

This song and the clip itself make me want to bounce off the walls like a wild woman. It's just so peppy and cool and campy that I can't take it, and for a lazy hag me, that's saying something.

By the by, if you've seen Kill Bill, this might seem a little familiar. I'm just speculating, but I'm thinking that Quentin Tarantino has seen Gumnaam at some point. Again, I'm just running this up the flagpole, but this scene brings to mind the fight sequence in KB between the Bride and the Crazy 88's. And once again, this is just my theory. Of course, I wouldn't say it if I wasn't right, but I have to put a disclaimer in there, regardless. Ahem.