Saturday, January 12, 2008

Hey, You Got Your RIP in My Saturday Movie

I was all set to go to bed earlier when I read that 50s horror host and all-around cool chica, Vampira, Had Passed Away. In addition to her hosting gig, she was also a sometime actress, and her most notable role was in a little movie called Plan 9 From Outer Space-perhaps you've heard of it?

I have and I consider it one of my most favorite movies of all time and I say that without (hardly) any irony. It's not a good movie in the classic sense of the word, but it is entertaining. I think Ed Wood's goal was to tell a frightening tale of the ignorance of humanity and where it's going to lead us (kinda like The Day The Earth Stood Still, I guess), but instead he ended up making one of the best unintentional comedies of all time. Basically, poor Ed's heart was in the right place, he just didn't have the means, the encouragement or the talent that was required to pull it off.

Regardless of what he meant to do, Plan 9 ended up being the greatest bad movie of all time (Hal P. Warren can kiss my little white butt-HIS movie was just bad-bad) and the death of Vampira reminded me of that. So I watched it. Again. And it was good. Or bad. Whichever.

So. Even though I've posted it once before, I'm going to post it again in honor of Vampira. The way I look at it, there's only 2 kinds of people in the world-those who've seen Plan 9 and those who haven't. The people who haven't seen it need to see it and the ones who have, the ones who've actually managed to sit through the whole thing, are the types who'd sit through it again-and like it. I'm performing a public service, really, in addition to showing my respect for an awesome lady.

2 birds, one stone. Yay me.