Wednesday, July 30, 2008

Bueller?... Bueller?... Bueller?

Today's movie is:



1986's 'Ferris Bueller's Day Off'

Starring: Matthew Broderick, Alan Ruck, Mia Sara, Jeffrey Jones, Jennifer Grey, Edie McClurg and Cindy Pickett. Directed by John Hughes.

Genre: Comedy

The whatsit: Smart-alleck boy blows off school (again) and spends the day farting around in Chicago.

Niiiine tiiiimes: This has to be one for the books-John Hughes made a movie and after seeing it at least two dozen times over the years, I still can't find a damn thing wrong with it. Get me mah smellin' salts.

I'm not the only one. I remember going to visit my grandfather when I was eleven or so and one day while we were there, me, my mom and Louise, (my step-grandmother) went to town and rented some movies. I got this and Louise rented Hannah and Her Sisters. If you haven't seen Hannah and Her Sisters, in it Woody Allen's character is convinced he has a brain tumor. Well, see, my grandad actually DID have a brain tumor (which eventually killed him, not to get all morbid) so he didn't much care for Hannah or her sisters or Woody Allen and he wasn't too thrilled with Louise either that night. But the next day, he watched Ferris with me and we laughed our asses off.

Me-1, Louise-0

I didn't get to spend much time with my grandfather since he lived far away, so that's a nice little memory I've been able to carry around. Thanks Ferris. Thanks John Hughes.

As for the actual movie, I loved Cameron, Principal Rooney, the Museum scene, Kristy Swanson's explanation of why Ferris is absent:

"Um, he's sick. My best friend's sister's boyfriend's brother's girlfriend heard from this guy who knows this kid who's going with the girl who saw Ferris pass out at 31 Flavors last night. I guess it's pretty serious."

Edie McClurg's rationale as to why Ferris can get away with murder:

"Oh, he's very popular Ed. The sportos, the motorheads, geeks, sluts, bloods, waistoids, dweebies, dickheads - they all adore him. They think he's a righteous dude. "

And just pretty much the whole damn movie. S'good.

Where are they now?:

Matthew Broderick has two movies in post-production and spends a good chunk of his time on Broadway.

Alan Ruck recently completed three movies. He was 29 years old when he played Cameron. I did not know that.

Mia Sara is on the television show "Tinseltown".

Jeffrey Jones...Jeffrey, Jeffrey, Jeffrey. His last film role was in "Who's Your Caddy?" and it doesn't look like he has much else on his plate for the future. Idiot. Such a waste.

Jennifer Grey and her newish nose can currently be seen in 'Redbelt'.

Edie McClurg pops up all the time and has a film in post-production titled 'Holyman Undercover" which co-stars Fred Willard and Clint Howard. Wow.

Cindy Pickett is another one of those "Oh, HER" type-people and appears in various films and tv show guest spots.

Also, this is more for me than anyone else, but Richard Edson, the garage attendant that took Cameron's dad's car for a joyride was the original drummer for Sonic Youth. Some trivia for you to do with as you wish.

You can grab it Here.