Wednesday, July 09, 2008

That Girl is, Was and Always Will Be Nada

Today's movie:



1986's 'Pretty in Pink'

Starring: Molly Ringwald, Harry Dean Stanton, Jon Cryer, Annie Potts, James Spader and Andrew McCarthy.

Genre: Drama

Plot: Andie, A poor emo girl tries to rise above her station in life by falling in love with a dead-eyed rich boy.

Oh God, not her again: I've seen this movie more times than I'd like to admit, and honestly, I'm not sure why. I liked Duckie, and Annie Potts as Andie's punkish boss, but otherwise I was all "Meh". Part of it is because I've never understood the reasoning behind any of Molly Ringwald's characters. In '16 Candles' she has a decent, if goofy family, is well-off financially and she pouts for the whole film. In the 'Breakfast Club', she's popular, rich and she pouts for the whole film. In 'The Stand', her dad is friggin' Dr. Kelso, she manages to snag Gary Sinise and she pouts for the whole film. (Yes, I know most of the planet, including her dad, died. Doesn't matter-she would have pouted regardless.)

And in Pretty in Pink, she's kinda poor, but she has a goofy, sweet best friend who's crazy about her, she has a job in a cool record store with a great boss, she has a bitchin' car, her dad is friggin' Harry Dean Stanton, and she pouts throughout the whoooooooole film.

I don't think the PIP pouting would bother me so much, but for the fact that she was pouting over Andrew McCarthy. She manages to lock-in on the most souless, flat, zombie-ish man in film history and then mopes because she thinks she's too poor to hang with him and James Spader, who's the SECOND most souless man in film history. What the hell is wrong with this girl? Maybe she's short a little soul herself. Witness her reaction here:



Humorless twat.

Where are they now?:

Jon Cryer is on 'Two and a Half Men', which is inexplicably popular.

Andrew Mccarthy has a horror movie in post-production. Shockingly, it's not a zombie movie.

Annie Potts still pops up on various tv shows and films. I'll always have a soft-spot for her because Mary Jo was the character I most related to on 'Designing Women'. Yes, I watched Designing Women and I LIKED it, too.

James Spader stars in the lead role on 'Boston Legal', which I've never watched.

Harry Dean Stanton will probably still be acting long after we're all dead.

You can buy it Here, or you can do yourself one better and get the Soundtrack instead. It's loads better than the movie.