Friday, July 25, 2008

Edwina's Insides Were a Rocky Place Where My Seed Could Find No Purchase

Quick one today:



1987's 'Raising Arizona'

Starring: Nicolas Cage, Holly Hunter, Trey Wilson, John Goodman, William Forsythe, Sam McMurray, Frances McDormand and Randall 'Tex' Cobb. Directed by Joel Coen.

Genre: Comedy

The what: Charming white trash couple kidnap a baby to raise as their own.

I LOVE HIM SO-HO MU-UCH: Much the same way Edwina feels about baby Ed, I love this movie sooooo much. In the interest of full disclosure, I'm a long-time Coen brothers nerd, so I'm a little biased. Even if I wasn't, I'd still say that RA is comedy gold and will likely stand the test of time. It's got arseloads of quotable lines (including the post title, which is one of my favorite lines of all time), a fab cast and it's just goofy and fun as hell. It's also got this scene, which I love almost as much as I do my own child:



All told, I give Raising Arizona 5 out of 5 babies.



Where my homies at?:

Nicolas Cage has-in my opinion-rested on his laurels since he won the Academy Award for 'Leaving Las Vegas'. What's the deal with people winning Oscars and piddling their careers away on shitty action movies? National Treasure-wtf was that about? Blech. Anyway, the former Mr. Coppola has eight movies going.

Holly Hunter has one movie in pre-production and stars on the television show 'Saving Grace'.

John Goodman, William Forsythe and Sam McMurray have 13 movies in the works between them. You can probably guess who has the lions share of that total.

Frances McDormand recently finished filming 'Burn After Reading', which looks awesome.

Trey Wilson died of a cerebral hemorrhage in 1989.

Randall 'Tex' Cobb seems to have been M.I.A. for awhile, but will soon appear in an action/comedy that stars Willie Nelson. Allrighty then.

Kidnap buy a copy Here