Monday, October 08, 2007

F*ck That Noise

I need something light to make up for the memory of the bummer that is Last House on the Left, and with that in mind I bring you:



2000's The Convent

With: Joanna Canton, Renée Graham, Richard Trapp, Adrienne Barbeau and Coolio.

What do we have here?: A group of college students break into an abandoned convent and become possessed by demonic spirits.


Type of horror: If I had to peg it, I'd say

  • Supernatural


  • Any good?: I don't know that I'd say it's 'good', per say, but I enjoyed the hell out of it. It's a mindless B-movie, and it doesn't take itself seriously. So if you want high-quality horror, rent 'The Exorcist'; If you want a fun, silly movie then 'The Convent' is a fine choice.

    Skurry?: Nah. It's a bit gory, but the effects are a tad on the cartoonish side. For example, whenever a demon appears on screen, everything goes all day-glo and blacklight-y. Mostly everything is played for laughs, so even the gore itself was funny. Aside from that, the fact that Coolio is in it should make it apparent that it's not scary

    Highlights: I cannot express just how awesome Adrienne Barbeau is as Christine, who, as a bad-ass teenager, put the kibosh on the demon nuns' doings. Christine became an even more bad-ass adult, and she's fairly annoyed that some idiot kids have undone all her hard work. She's not in the movie very long, but when she is, it's heaven on Earth and 'The Convent' is worth watching for her alone.

    Where it's at: Here.