Thursday, September 21, 2006

"Forever and Ever and Ever"

Today is Stephen King's birthday. I've had a long-running relationship with Mr. King, going back even before I was born. My mom got really into his books whilst pregnant with me, which may explain quite a few things. I started reading him when I was about 12-no Sweet Valley High for me, no sir.

My first Stephen King book was The Shining. God, what a spell that book had me under. It scared me to death, and I couldn't get enough of it. Some of his books have been hit-or-miss, I will admit, but The Shining, The Stand, and I have a soft spot for IT-I could read these over and over, and I do.

Since I don't feel like pasting passages of a novel onto a blog (plus there's that whole thing about it being illegal or something), I'm posting this uber-creepy clip from the film version of the Shining. And in other news, how much do I love Stanley Kubrick? This, A Clockwork Orange, Dr. Strangelove, 2001, Full Metal Jacket-I could weep just typing the titles. Expect a majorly longwinded post when his birthday comes around, I don't care if he IS dead.