Sunday, June 24, 2007

Beware...

Remember that phase I went through not long ago, posting a crappy public domain movie every weekend, then I stopped? 'Member that? That was fun. The reason I stopped was because I ran out of good crappy movies, and was only left with CRAPPY crappy movies, and as much of a misanthrope as I am, I draw the line at foisting boring schlock upon other people.

However....

I was overcome by massive boredom this afternoon, and I went searching on Google video for something to watch, and I found not just a GOOD crappy movie, but GREAT crappy movie, one of the best of the worst: Ed Wood's transvestite sci-fi extravaganza, Glen or Glenda.

The inspiration for this movie was the story of George Jorgensen, who in 1952, became Christine Jorgensen, one of the first people to undergo sexual reassignment surgery.

However...

Christine's story has absolutely NOTHING to do with what ended up on film. What we got instead, was Ed Wood himself in some (very cute) angora sweaters, Bela Lugosi in one of the most bizarre roles of his career (morphine: it's a hell of a drug), and a plot that has fuck all to do with transsexualism (or logic for that matter.)

Basically, if you want a good movie about a transgendered person, rent Hedwig and the Angry Inch. If you want a halfway decent movie about a guy who dresses like a chick, rent Tootsie. If you want a good Ed Wood movie, then I'm afraid I can't help you (but if you want a good movie ABOUT Ed Wood, then check out his biopic starring Johnny Depp. Martin Landau is GOLD as Bela Lugosi.)

However...

If you're like me, and you thrive on crappy movies about cross dressers that make no sense whatsoever, then settle in and click 'play' on the little YouTube dealy down below.