Monday, August 25, 2008

Goodbye Boss Man. It's Quittin' Time

Harper goes back to school in approximately four hours and I'm starting to feel sane again (and wide awake. But sane) so we now return to your scheduled program already in progress.

Today's movie is:



1980's "Nine to Five"

Starring: Jane Fonda, Lily Tomlin, Dolly Parton and Dabney Coleman.

Genre: Comedy

Plot: A godless hippie (so sayeth my dad), a country singer and a comedienne kidnap their crummy boss so's they can get some work done.

Sisters are doin' it for themselves: Oh I just adore this movie. It's hilarious and it's one of my favorite movies from when I was a kid. I re-watched it a month or so ago for the first time in years and it hit me that women still have a long way to go in the workplace (I knew that already, it just hit me AGAIN is what I mean to say). It's depressing that the changes they made in the office after they kidnapped the old bastard are still fairly uncommon today, 28 years later. A lot of women still slave away for long hours and pay astronomical daycare fees, so in a lot of ways for a lot of people, 9 to 5 is practically a science fiction movie.

Bummer.

I reckon the thing that stood out to me the most in this movie was the fantasy sequence. At one point Lily Tomlin's character scores a joint from her son (the 80s were a different time, you see) and she and Jane and Dolly get baked and talk about how they've daydreamed of disposing of the boss. Dolly's fantasy is sort of a cowgirl-type deal. Jane's has a safari motif and Lily's...Well, I liked Lily's the best:



I think the cartoons were what put it over the top for me.

Where are they now?:

Jane Fonda came out of retirement in 2005 and has been in 2 films since then. She's also a total floozy. You get up offa my man, Jane Fonda!

Lily Tomlin has a movie in the works called "Sweet Baby Jesus" which intrigues me.

Dolly Parton is still singing her little heart out and will soon appear in-GASP-the Hannah Montana movie.

Dabney Coleman still pops up in various movies and tv shows, none of which will ever live up to the creepy badness of This. If any of you ever find that on DVD, I want-nay-I NEED to have it. Nevermind. Woo-hoo!

You can spend your hard-earned cash on 9 to 5 Here