Sunday, January 20, 2008

So What's The Opposite of Schadenfreude?

I don't like the idea of having my last 2 posts being about death, so I thought I'd put something positive up here. Ain't ya glad?

Last week, while reading about the death of Brad Renfro (came close to posting about him dying too, but opted instead to pay tribute in the form of a new blog header. Sort of.), I came across a comment on one of the sites that mentioned actress Natasha Lyonne, someone who seemed destined for the same fate as Brad. I always liked Natasha ever since I saw her in The Slums of Beverly Hills, and I hated that she'd had so many problems in recent years-drugs, career in the crapper, that thing with the dog.

Anyway, according to this random comment, Natasha has finally gotten her act together and is working again. I did some investigating, and lo and behold, it's true. According to IMDB she's got 4 films in post-production and will soon be appearing in the Mike Leigh play "Two Thousand Years" in New York.

I just think that's great.

The only thing that bugs me, is that there's hardly been anything said about it. I came across maybe 3 articles about it, 2 of which were kind of snide. People go out of their way to spread the news when someone fucks up, but when they manage to get their shit straight, no one cares. Don't get me wrong: I enjoy a good train wreck. Britney Spears wasn't even a blip on my radar screen until the cheese slid off of her cracker. And I was one of the ones cheering the loudest when Paris Hilton was stuck in the revolving door of the LA County jail system last summer. But you know what? As dark as my heart is, when Paris walked out of the jail for the last time, a part of me was happy for her (I got over it, though.) And you know what else? If Britney does-by some miracle-manage to regain control of her senses, that'll make me happy too.

See, I was once a royal screw-up, and I came through it. No power on this earth could make me go into the details here, let's just say that it was a bad scene all around. I think that experience has something to do with my being so happy about Natasha's turnaround and the possibility of others doing the same, but I think it's more than that. I think that deep down, I just might be a nice person after all and quite frankly, that frightens the dickens out of me. It's just easier to be a bitter old bitch, you know?

At any rate, as I mentioned before, I found a few articles about Natasha and one of them was pretty sweet, so I'm going to share it with anyone else who might also be hiding a nice person, deep, deep inside of them. You know who you are.

NY Times-'When Living at All Is the Best Revenge'