Wednesday, June 18, 2008

So it's Sorta Social, Demented and Sad, But Social.

Today's movie is:



1985's 'The Breakfast Club'

Starring: Emilio Estevez, Anthony Michael Hall, Judd Nelson, Molly Ringwald, Ally Sheedy and Paul Gleason. Directed by John Hughes.

Genre: Comedy/Drama

Plot: Five cliches spend all day becoming bestest buddies during Saturday in-school-suspension.

Memories: I liked this movie a lot. When I was TEN. I used to spend the night at my cousins' house about once a month back then, and we'd watch this every time. Then we got older and realized that people generally don't fit into neat little pre-packaged stereotypes and we moved on to better films. At least I did. I should call and ask what they think of TBC these days. I've made myself all curious now.

I snark, but I honestly don't think it stands up. It's got a few good lines and I like Paul Gleason in this (which may be why I can't relate to the young people in the movie), but once I grew up a bit and actually WENT to high school, I found I couldn't identify with this movie at all. I was neither an outcast or a popular little teen queen in school, I was just one of the regular kids, just plugging along. I was a bit weird, but I hid it well and I got along with most of my classmates, who, come to think of it, didn't fit any of John Hughes' stereotypes either.

Which is fine. I'm talking about John Hughes here, not high art. It just kinda sucks when you find out that life isn't as easy as you've been led to believe as a child. Yeah, easy. If my peers in high school were as cut and dried as 80s teen movie tropes, I would have been able to rule over their weak-minded asses with an iron fist.

Where are they now?: I really don't care. But...

Emilio Estevez seems to have decided directing is where it's at.

Anthony Michael Hall is in the upcoming Batman movie, 'The Dark Knight'. Ya Rly.

Judd Nelson managed to not die, which is pretty impressive. If you turn the tv over to Cinemax late at night you can still sometimes catch him practicing his craft.

Molly Ringwald had a baby last year and may or may not be on a tv show premiering this summer or this fall. Maybe.

Ally Sheedy is still acting.

Paul Gleason assumed room temperature in 2006. RIP.

You can snag it Here.